Archival Pigment Ink Prints
24″h x 24″w
Edition of 15
In 1895, the City of Austin, Texas acquired a novel street-lighting system from Detroit consisting of thirty-one 165-foot tower lights. Their cool glow and looming height earned them the popular moniker “Moonlight Towers.” By the 1930s, however, the towers were all but obsolete due to the advent of newer, brighter street lamps that were closer to the ground. Over the years for a variety of reasons including public safety and urban growth, more than half of the original towers have been removed. This series preserves the remaining towers at their most visible moment just after dusk when they flicker on.
Available at Stephen L. Clark Gallery in Austin, Texas